We’re well aware that most of the people who visit our site are in America, and 90% of Americans could care about anything more than cricket. But one of our staffers is Sri Lankan, so we think you should root for them in the World Cup final against India tomorrow. It’s a big deal around the world. So here’s some reasons why we think you should root for our team:
* Sri Lanka is a country the size of West Virginia, India is the 2nd biggest country in the world. Root for the underdog, it’s fun.
* Muttiah Muralitharan – Born with a crooked elbow and now at 39 years old, one of the greatest cricketers of all time playing his final match of his career in tomorrows match. Battling hamstring injuries, leg injuries, and age and going out there one last time to try and take it all home. You can’t write this stuff. (Unless you wrote Rocky IV, in which case, yes, you did already basically write that story)
* India and Indian culture is all the rage right now (see ‘Outsourced’, yoga being the new jazzercise, and ‘Indian girls’ being the new ‘Japanese Girls’ for white dudes). And that’s cool, but do you know what’s really cool? Being into stuff that other people AREN’T into and talking s*it about people that are. You want to be cool, don’t you?
* Two words: Anthony. Bourdain. Homeboy loves Sri Lanka too.
* Two more words: Victoria’s. Secret. Ladies, check the label on your form fitting, bust-enhancing, sexifying unmentionables – and tip your hat to the workers and country that makes a bulk of it.
* You ever been to India? There’s poop on the street. Not animal poop. Human poop.
* Seriously, it’s a tiny war-torn country, this is the best thing going for it by a long shot. India’s got Bollywood, Tikka Masala, and the Taj Mahal. Can we try and balance out the power just a little bit? India winning would be like finding out that Martin Scorcese is also the chief song-writer behind The Walkmen, I mean, c’mon, how many more pillars of awesome does that guy need?
* Contrary to what MIA may have tried to sensationalize, there wasn’t actually a genocide in Sri Lanka recently. Just an unfortunate end to an even more unfortunate 30 year civil war. This team is made of Tamil and Sinhalese people, though, and in the aftermath of that civil war this sport has the ability to unite the country more than the corrupted government ever has tried to or is even capable of doing, even if it’s just for a day.
From The Citrus Report
Posted By The Citrus Report